Do you want to be part of the movement of people seeking to bring an end to extreme poverty? Unite with the Lent Event community to form a deeper understanding of our world and take part in the reconciliation of people and resources.
Through our process of Action, Reflection and Connection, Lent Event offers practical ways you can continue along your path of personal growth and connection with our global community.
A critical part of the process is to join us in taking Action within your own lives, by:
Action through Lent Event:
We invite you and your community to join us during the 40 days of Lent to take part in the annual ‘Lent Event’ where participants are invited to set aside non-essential material goods for the Lenten period and donate the money saved to support projects that offer a better future to our brothers and sisters in some of the world’s most impoverished communities. Click here to register and receive your free information pack.
For many participants, this annual event motivates them to want to commit to taking further action, sometimes even before the 40 days are over!
If you feel called to take further action, the team at Lent Event recommends the following steps to help drive your action-based journey further, depending on where you are in your own ‘walk’…
Next Steps – Action beyond Lent Event:
The Lent Event experience has sparked something new in me and I want to journey further.
- Run a fundraising event for a UnitingWorld project such as a ‘Village Feast’.
- Approach politicians regarding justice for people living in extreme poverty.
- Take part in a community justice event.
- Sign the Micah Call and encourage others to do so.
- Commit to making a regular contribution to UnitingWorld.
- Buy Fair Trade products.
- Simplify your eating for a period of time. Try the poverty elimination challenge.
- Write to a UnitingWorld partner church.
My Lenten journey has inspired me to deepen my commitment to seeking justice for people living in poverty.
- Join or establish an International Justice Group in your church or community.
- With a group, organise a justice advocacy event such as ‘Community Water Walk‘.
- Volunteer in the UnitingWorld office – contact Jade on 8267 4267 or email email@example.com
- Talk about fair trade with neighbours, friends and colleagues.
- Take an active role in the Fair Trade movement.
- Make a statement about international justice using your creative gifts.
- Attend a conference on international justice.
- Form a writing group to lobby key leaders on issues of international justice.
- Contribute to a blog on poverty related issues.
I’m ready to risk stepping out of my comfort zone by taking a leadership role in my community and entering into relationship with people who are poor.
- Form a group to advocate on issues relating to poverty in the community.
- Organise a community forum to raise awareness about the Millennium Development Goals. Invite a UnitingWorld keynote speaker.
- Set up an engaging justice display at a local community event or public place.
- Stage a community conference or expo to raise awareness and engage people on the issues of justice.
- Set up an Fair Trade advocacy group promoting fair trade to other churches and in the community.
- Formulate and work to a budget that gives increasing priority to giving for international development.